An elder law attorney provides you with the help you need to protect yourself as you age and to protect your family after you are gone. Elder law attorneys actually represent people of all ages, not just senior citizens. Anyone who is concerned about naming a guardian for their children, about protecting their assets, about making a plan for incapacity, or about creating an estate plan can get help from an elder law attorney.
When you have decided you want assistance from an attorney experienced in the field of elder law, you need to make sure you find the right legal professional. Your attorney should be able to explain all of the different legal tools available to help with your incapacity plan, estate plan, and asset protection plan. Your attorney should also have the knowledge and experience to help you to determine the best way to grow and protect assets, as well as to protect yourself and your loved ones.
When you want a lawyer with the experience and background that you can trust, the White River Junction elder law attorneys at Unsworth LaPlante, PLLC can help. Our legal team has decades of collective experience and a very strong commitment to providing knowledgeable and compassionate representation to every client. Whatever your age or the size of your estate, we’ll create a personalized plan to protect your family and to secure your future.
What to Look for in an Elder Law Attorney
Knowing how to find a trusted elder law attorney can be complicated. However, if you follow these steps, you should be able to find a legal professional who can offer you the guidance that you need.
- Ask for referrals from friends, family, and other legal professionals: When you are looking for an elder law attorney, you should find out if anyone that you know has worked with a lawyer that they trust. If you have an attorney who provides assistance with other legal matters, that lawyer may have a referral for you. It is very important, however, to make sure that any attorney who you get help from specifically has experience in the field of elder law. You don’t want just a general lawyer trying to assist you with important issues related to aging, as many of the laws are very complex.
- Check with professional organizations: You can get a list of members of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys in your area. The Academy was first founded in 1993 and is made up of legal professionals who have focused their careers on achieving excellence in the elder law and estate planning process. Academy Members must complete at least 36 hours of continuing legal education each year. When you find an attorney who is a member of the American Academy of Estate Planning attorneys, you can rest assured your attorney has the knowledge, insight, and experience to help with the issues affecting seniors.
- Make sure your attorney offers the services that you need: Elder law attorneys provide lots of different types of assistance to people who want to plan ahead for the future. Attorneys can help with wills and trusts, but also with much more. You may want assistance with asset protection; with creating a plan for management of your assets in case of incapacity; with planning for future healthcare decisions; and with financial planning. Whatever your specific goals are, you need to make sure that the lawyer who you get help from has experience in the specific area of elder law.
- Pay attention to how your attorney interacts with and assists you: You will need to work closely with your lawyer on some very important and very personal issues, like what kinds of healthcare you want in case you become unable to communicate your wishes due to an injury or illness. Your attorney should be someone who is patient, caring, and willing to take the time to listen to your goals and help you to achieve them.
When you are ready to consult with an elder law attorney who has the knowledge, skill and experience to help you prepare an estate plan, an asset protection plan, and an incapacity plan, we are here to help.
Getting Help from a White River Junction Elder Law Attorney
When you are ready to get help from a White River Junction elder law attorney, join Unsworth LaPlante, PLLC for a free seminar or contact us to get personalized advice that is tailored to your situation. You can give us a call at (802) 879-7133 or contact us online today so we can get started on protecting your future.
- Does My 401(k) Account Count for Medicaid Eligibility? - October 20, 2022
- Senior Care Options - October 18, 2022
- Is an Oral Will Valid in Vermont? - October 13, 2022