If you are getting ready to meet with a Burlington Medicaid lawyer, you should try to prepare for your meeting in advance. Your attorney is going to provide you with the help you need to understand Vermont’s Medicaid program, which is called Green Mountain Care. Your attorney can assist you in discovering Medicaid eligibility rules, understanding the application process, and making sure you can get Medicaid coverage when you need it. Your attorney can also provide help in the application process and in making use of your benefits. You just need to let your lawyer know what kinds of legal assistance you want- and that is why preparing a bit before your meeting can help.
Unsworth LaPlante, PLLC makes it easy for you to determine if Medicaid planning is important for you and makes it easy to take the right steps to create your comprehensive Medicaid plan. We understand how hard you have worked for your assets and we will help make certain that you and your family do not lose everything because of the need for nursing home care. Give us a call at (802) 879-7133 or contact us online to find out how a Burlington Medicaid lawyer can help you.
Preparing to Meet with a Burlington Medicaid Lawyer
Preparing to meet with a Burlington medicaid lawyer can allow you to make the most productive use of your time and can help you to ensure that you get the help you need. Your attorney will let you know specifically if there is anything you should do before the meeting or anything that you should bring with. In general, however, some of the different things you may wish to do include:
- Making a list of assets you own and want to protect. The goal of medicaid planning is asset protection, so you should try to consider what assets you own that you wish to protect. Your attorney can tell you whether those assets are actually at risk or not, and can provide you with information on whether medicaid planning can keep your property safe.
- Obtaining income and resource information from other household members. Medicaid may take income and resources from other family members into account when determining if you can qualify for coverage.
- Making a list of questions you have for your lawyer. You want to ensure you make the most of your meeting and that you are able to get all of the questions you have about medicaid planning answered. It is sometimes easy to forget questions when you are involved with learning lots of new information as you meet with an experienced attorney.
An experienced attorney can make the process of medicaid planning easy and can help you with all of your asset protection needs. By getting ready for your first meeting, you can get the medicaid planning process underway quickly so you will get the protection your assets need as soon as possible.
When Should You Meet with a Burlington Medicaid Lawyer?
It is important to meet with a medicaid lawyer as early as possible before you require nursing home care or Medicaid coverage. Medicaid has a five year lookback rule which means that you cannot qualify for Medicaid right away if you have transferred assets within five years of the time that you need Medicaid to pay for care. You’ll face a period of disqualification based on the value of transferred assets and based on the average cost of nursing care in your area.
If you make your Medicaid plans well before the time that you need care, you can get the most asset protection possible and can ensure you get coverage when you need it. A Medicaid lawyer at Unsworth LaPlante, PLLC can help you to determine when to start Medicaid planning and can provide you with assistance in carrying through with your asset protection plan.
Getting Help from a Burlington Medicaid Lawyer
A Burlington medicaid lawyer at Unsworth LaPlante, PLLC has extensive experience with providing assistance to clients in qualifying for Medicaid coverage. We can help you throughout the Medicaid planning process so you can ensure your assets are kept safe and can become your legacy.
To learn more about medicaid planning and Medicaid qualification, download our free Medicaid Analysis Form. You can also give us a call at (802) 879-7133 or contact us online to speak with a member of our legal team about how a Burlington Medicaid planning lawyer can help you.
Latest posts by Ellen LaPlante (see all)
- Veterans Aid and Attendance Special Pension Can Ease the Burden - December 26, 2018
- DIY Estate Planning Is Risky Business - December 12, 2018
- Why Would You Use an Irrevocable Trust? - November 8, 2018