Estate planning lawyers can help you to do more than just protect your money. An attorney can help you to protect your loved ones. Developing a comprehensive estate plan means you can avoid putting your family into a bad situation if you become very sick or after you pass away. Even when you are gone, you can take care of those you love.
Developing an estate plan that protects your loved ones can be a complicated process. You need help from experienced estate planning lawyers who know how to aid you in using all of the legal tools available to you.
Unsworth Law has extensive experience in the estate planning field and we have helped many clients in Essex Junction and surrounding areas to develop a strong plan for the future. To get started today and get a legal framework in place to ensure your loved ones are cared for, give us a call now.
Five Ways Estate Planning Lawyers Help Protect Your Family
Estate planning lawyers guide you through using legal tools and legal documents to protect your loved ones from having to make unpleasant decisions, or from delving into chaos upon a death. While there are many ways attorneys help you to protect your loved ones, here are five of the most important:
- Estate planning lawyers help you name a guardian for pets and minor children: Many people mistakenly believe estate planning is just for the elderly. In fact, it can be even more important for young people with minor children. Without a plan naming someone as guardian for your kids and providing for their care, your children’s future will be very uncertain in the event you pass away.
- Estate planning lawyers help you to ensure financial security in case of an untimely death: Estate planning lawyers can help you to create a plan to save for retirement. Your attorney can also help you to ensure you have sufficient insurance to provide for your loved ones if you pass away and leave them with a mortgage and bills to pay.
- Estate planning lawyers help you to save your family from making hard choices if you are incapacitated or injured: If you suffer a serious or debilitating illness or injury, decisions may need to be made on medical care at a time when you are not able to speak for yourself. When you create a living will, you make clear in advance what kinds of medical care and life-saving treatment you do (and do not) want to receive. This way, you avoid putting your family in an impossible situation where they have to make life and death decisions. There is a Vermont advanced directive registry where you can register your living will so doctors can find it in case of an emergency. You should also name someone as your healthcare power of attorney in case a decision needs to be made that is not addressed in your living will. This prevents disagreements in a difficult time.
- Estate planning lawyers ensure you don’t spend down all of your assets if you have to go into a nursing home: Nursing homes can be very expensive and all the money earned over your lifetime could be spent in months if you have to get nursing home care. Medicaid should pay for a nursing home, but you need to structure the ownership of your assets so you can qualify for this need-based program.
- Estate planning lawyers help to stop your family from fighting over assets when you have passed away: Your family should be able to come together in their grief. Unfortunately, if you have not clearly provided for how assets will be distributed, your loved ones could end up fighting over your estate after you have passed away.
Unsworth Law knows how important it is to secure your legacy and care for your loved ones even after you are gone. Let us help you to make a sold plan that provides the protections your family deserves.
Contact an Estate Planning Lawyer Today to Get Started
With your family’s stability and security at stake, you should not hesitate to get the legal help you need. It is important to find an advocate with experience in estate planning who will offer you compassionate and knowledgeable legal advice.
To get the help you need from attorneys who have a proven track record of helping clients to plan for their future, contact the Essex Junction estate planning lawyers at Unsworth Law today. You can give us a call at (802) 879-7133 or contact us online. You can also join us for a free seminar to learn more about the estate planning tools available to you.